Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Few Quick Notes 581

-At first I was thinking today wouldn't be particularly hot or unpleasant, it seems I may have been a little off.  It's just past noon and it already feels like it's in the low 30s.  Gross.

-It seems that the Ottawa Fringe Festival is taking place in our neighbourhood.  Despite my best efforts I haven't yet been able to convince Jeannette to attend any of the shows with me.  Hopefully sometime between now and the end of the festival I'll manage to talk her into seeing at least of of the shows.

-As another week as passed I thought I would post a few more photos of our container garden progress.

Not surprisingly, the largest portion of our container garden is where we've seen the most growth.  The largest tomato plant keeps pumping out flowers (and immature tomatoes), as do our four pepper plants.  And our runner beans ran right up a line I set up for them.  Maybe most amazingly, our mini-pumpkin plants keep adding new leaves and buds (though only male buds so far) to their pot.  Almost every morning when we head our for the first inspection/watering of the day we find new and exciting developments.


Or, if you were looking for the angle I've posted for the past few weeks.


And if you needed more evidence in support of my claim about the presence of immature tomatoes.



The bathroom wheat continues to grow, but I think the less-than-harsh environment that is our bathroom didn't condition the wheat for some of the wind that we had earlier this week.  To try to overcome the weakness of the plants and fix the damage that was done I installed this new rigging system.  Hopefully this will encourage the growth patterns we are looking for.


We've also had some success with some of the plants I haven't spent as much time documenting.

For instance, a few days I noticed that one of our bean plants had a juvenile bean.  I would guess that we now have at least a dozen or so beans in various stages of not-quite-ready-to-pickness.


And after a slow start our lettuce has finally started to come into its own.  Maybe if we'd used a reasonably sized pot we'd have even more success (but I'm still hopeful that even with this small pot we'll have enough lettuce for a few salads).


And finally, maybe our most exciting garden development is that we finally had our first harvest.  When we went out to check on the plants this morning we noticed that two of our strawberries were ripe.  While even if you combine them these guys won't be much of a meal, it's nice to know that purchasing those plants wasn't all for nought.


-One of the things I've really like about our subscription to the Ottawa Citizen is that it means we're regularly supplied with new crossword puzzles.  Not that either of us is particularly adept at crossword puzzle solving, having the opportunity to spend a few minutes each morning on such a puzzle can be quite pleasurable.

Oh, and maybe the best thing is that on Saturday and Sunday two such puzzles are included.  They seem to know that when we have more breakfast time on our hands we will want more puzzles.

No comments: